- 6 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups coconut, divided
- dash of salt
- Finely chop or blend the coconut. Set aside.
- In a large pot, cook first four ingredients over medium high heat to 236 to 238 degrees F stirring constantly, never above surface of the mixture.
- Remove from heat and let cool in the pot for 8-10 minutes.
- Pour onto cool, damp slab without scraping the pot.
- Cream mixture using a straight edge until it loses its gloss and thickens up, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, salt and 1 1/4 cups of the coconut. Work into the mixture using the straight edge or knead with your hands as it lumps up.
- Store in a plastic bag at room temperature for 6 hours.
- Form balls and roll in 3/4 cups of the coconut. Set aside to dry. Store in a covered container for up to a week.