Philly boys Kevin and Michael Bacon of The Bacon Brothers (yes, that Kevin of the silver screen and yes, that Michael, the composer for film and TV) meld their lyrics and musical compositions into gritty rock with a touch of Philly soul. You’ll hear more of that on their newest CD, New Year’s Day, releasing 24 March (Forosco). Sometimes, as Kevin tells PopMatters 20 Questions, the best album ever, is the one you made yourself – as in your family photo album. Brothers in blood and spirit, indeed.
1. The latest book or movie that made you cry?
Michael: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. You see, you can make a great movie about anything as long as you end up caring about the characters at the end. Same goes for songs.
2. The fictional character most like you?
Michael: Papa Smurf.
Kevin: I play fictional characters for a living so I don’t think in these terms, or more to the point they are like me.
3. The greatest album, ever?
Michael: The Band’s Music From Big Pink.
Kevin: The photo album that has the early shots of my kids.
4. Star Trek or Star Wars?
Michael: Star Wars.
Kevin: I like light sabers, but then again I like pointy ears.
5. Your ideal brain food?
Michael: Gin martini.
6. You’re proud of this accomplishment, but why?
Michael: Forty years of making music and making a living at it. I’m a lucky person who loves what he does.
Kevin: I think my kids are turning out pretty well. Why am I proud of that? Because it’s so easy to mess that one up.
7. You want to be remembered for . .?
Michael: Being a good husband, good father and good brother.
Kevin: I won’t be around so I don’t care.
8. Of those who’ve come before, the most inspirational are?
Michael: Igor Stravinsky, Pete Seeger, Joni Mitchell.
Kevin: At every step, and every day someone inspires me. Today I saw an old man on the subway singing his heart out for coins. How could I leave him off that list? And so it becomes a long list.
9. The creative masterpiece you wish bore your signature?
Michael: Igor Stravinsky’s ballet, The Rite of Spring, and the musical, West Side Story.
Kevin: God Father II?
10. Your hidden talents . . .?
Michael: Lightening speed, killer shot from the right side.
Kevin: I’m a good decorator.
11. The best piece of advice you actually followed?
Michael: Drop out of college and sing in my band.
12. The best thing you ever bought, stole, or borrowed?
Michael: Zoom, my son’s early ‘50s racing boat.
13. You feel best in Armani or Levis or …?
Kevin: I live in Levi’s. Wearing Armani is a vacation.
14. Your dinner guest at the Ritz would be?
Michael: Are you kidding? My wife.
Kevin: Bob Dylan.
15. Time travel: where, when and why?
Michael: I’d invite the 1968 Beatles with George Martin to my current studio and blow their minds.
Kevin: Let’s go back to early man so I can see dinosaurs …Oh wait.
16. Stress management: hit man, spa vacation or Prozac?
Kevin: Good food, fresh air, exercise, good wine. But when push comes to shove… sex.
17. Essential to life: coffee, vodka, cigarettes, chocolate, or …?
Michael: Bombay Saphire Gin.
Kevin: Same as above.
18. Environ of choice: city or country, and where on the map?
Michael: New York City, the Adirondacks, the Bahamas.
Kevin: There is nowhere else to live except New York City, even though many have tri
19. What do you want to say to the leader of your country?
Michael: Don’t try to please everyone.
Kevin: Listen to your heart, not to celebrities
20. Last but certainly not least, what are you working on, now?
Michael: We’re promoting our latest CD, New Year’s Day.
Kevin: Finishing this list!